Sunday, February 22, 2009

Eczema and Food Allergies

I've been reading on the internet about relationship between eczema flare ups and food intake. It's not news to me because my dermatologists have always told me that food can cause flare ups. When I was working abroad in Singapore, a dermatologist asked me to eliminate everything that I am allergic to. Well, he discovered that I was allergic to almost everything except for probably rice or potatoes!!!

I love to eat and I love all types of food so guess what? I couldn't do what he asked me to do. Especially when I was so busy with work, I didn't have time to journal and figure out what triggers my flare ups and then when I find out what it was to eliminate it completely. I would still eat what I know I'm allergic to but in very, very, very small portions. I was in Asia, so how can I not enjoy seafood??!!! Crab, shrimps and lobsters tasted really good there; however, I would just eat very little of it so that I won't break out. I always have my anti-histamine pills with me just in case I feel the effects.

In any case, the most allergic reaction I had was to YEAST. When they did the allergy test on my arm it swelled up like a balloon and slowly covered all the other test areas on my arm. Which means I shouldn't drink any alcohol or each any food with yeast. Which would mean bread! I LOVE bread! The next was wheat! So there you go...how am I supposed to not eat any bread or pasta???! I love these to staples. I'm glad at least I can eat rice and especially potatoes with no issues! I love potato.

When it comes to seafood I really need to watch it. A month ago I couldn't help myself and ate quite a lot of lobster that my boyfriend's dad made. He uses ground beef in this dish as well and it TASTE SO GOOD!!! I couldn't help myself, but what a mistake. Double whammy! Allergic to lobster and beef!!! I'm still paying for it now.

Once a flare up happens and scratching happens it's hard to manage. I'm not sure how long it is going to take to get those stupid open wounds to heal. I scratched so hard that my arm is now covered with wounds that is taking a long to time heal. But now I'm using a combination of Witch Hazel and Polysporin and I can start seeing the healing process happening. I tried using the medicated cream for my wounds but then remembered that I'm not supposed to do that. Plus, it didn't work anyways. The medicated cream only worked on my rash not my wounds.

I finally took a picture of my arm so that I can show before and after pictures, but it's been about 3 days now and though I can see improvements, there's still a ways to go. I'm not going to eat lobster again for a long time! Tonight, I looked at the shrimp dish and did not dare to eat even one. :( Thank goodness the rest of the dishes were very delicious...one of them being spinach. I love spinach.

Anyways, I'm also drinking green tea and will continue to drink at least two cups each day. It's supposed to be good for your skin. And every week, I would drink the cerasee tea as well. More liquids I drink the better for me I think. Oh by the way, my biggest issue as well is that if I don't make sure I drink something other than pop, I would drink pop all day except for coffee in the morning. I read that too much sugar is not good for your skin either so I think I better start buying soda water or some other carbonated drink. My addiction really is to the carbonated part!

Now that I have more time on my hands, I need to be careful of what I eat. I will buy more vegetables, fruits (not citrus or strawberries..again allergic), avocados (love them), fish (not salmon...it does have histamine).

I'm going to stop eating the cornflakes with 2% milk, I think I'm itchy because I eat that just before I go to bed. I love cereal but I don't think I can have it, and not too much milk either. *Sigh*, it's so depressing but I have to figure out better food to satisfy my love for eating! Why do I have to allergic to so many???!!!

Well, I hope I can show before and after pictures of my arm soon. When that happens it means my wounds all cleared up. Yipee! Spring is coming and I can't have that exposed. People stare and ask does it hurt! They mean well but it upsets me. Hopefully if what I do to get myself healed will work for others. Till then...

No comments:

Post a Comment