Friday, March 13, 2009

Natural Cleaning Ingredients

So I've been reading about all the wondering things about Baking Soda and Vinegar for cleaning and decided to try it out today, to prove to myself that they work. Plus, the more chemicals I can eliminate from my home the better it will be for managing my eczema. The bed sheets and duvet cover sometimes irritate my skin. I'm sure when that happens bleach was used. Even though we use hypoallergenic detergent...I don't know, sometimes wearing my washed clothes just sets me off itching.

I started with the kitchen sink and oven and WOW, it really works. No chemical smell and the peace of mind that I'm using stuff I can actually eat. I didn't follow any directions, just sprinkled some baking soda and wet the sponge with some vinegar and water to clean the oven. After 3 minutes, it was looking so clean and sparkly! And no yucky chemical smell. For the sink I just used the baking soda to clean it and it's shining in the kitchen right now!

My goal is to slowly change out all our household products to all natural ones. My obstacle is going to be my man. He's quite skeptical about this stuff. So I'm going to show by example. I'm just waiting for him to see how sparkly the sink is and the oven is right now. Then I'll tell him what I used and then I will figure out how much getting these products would cost and I'll have him in riding on my Eco-friendly bus.

If the whitening happens with the vinegar and baking soda mixture, instead of the Javex, that would be great. My skin is so sensitive to the bleach. Even though my robe is nice and white after it has been bleached, once my wet skin contacts the freshly washed robe, I can feel my skin getting itchy in seconds.

Next room to try out the natural cleaning agents is the bathroom, I'll do that tomorrow. If the solution gets rid of the mildew I'm a HERO!!! Plus, eliminating the chemicals in the air inside the house, my man's allergies may get better. I hope that happens. He's been having eye and nose allergies lately and I really think it's the stuff we are using...plus smoking doesn't help!

One day at a time, I'll have my way. :) I'm going to http://www.goneshopping.ca/ to get that Eco-friendly starter kit. It will tell me exactly what to use and apparently it comes with essential oil that will make everything smell really nice, disinfect and the essential oil mixture has anti-bacterial properties. All natural, good stuff.

It's only $34 so it's affordable I think, considering it will last for awhile. I mean, other chemical products out there are like at least $4 to $9 and they smell like death. Plus, you have to buy a different product for the kitchen, bathroom, living room...you get the idea.

My friends just moved into a new condo and this is what I'm going to get as a housewarming present. I think it's going to be great! Hmm, I may have given the surprise away if they see my post. Anyways, no matter, I still think it's going to be cool. I'm going to get one for myself too while I'm at it. :)

So excited. I'm going to do that right now. I'll give an update on how it works once I have a chance to use the solutions.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, there's a website (solveeczema.org) that addresses a sensitivity to detergent that may be what's causing/aggravating your eczema. And there's a book called Green Up You're Clean Up that talks about how to use simple ingredients to clean. I wouldn't spend any money on "green" cleaners because they all contain detergents. Just go to the site, it's all there. We use the traditional soaps she talks about and have seen some improvement but not complete recovery. But my kids are the ones that have it so it's hard to pinpoint what's causing them to itch since they can't tell me. Anyways, good luck with your eczema!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for providing me with the solveeczema.org website. I will definitely check it out.

    Yes, it's quite frustrating when you think you are doing everything right but yet you are still itchy. Most days I'm attributing my itchiness to my dry skin and stress. I try not to eat anything I'm allergic to so it's a daily battle for sure.

    Having products that help alleviate the dry skin and itchiness does help a lot though.

    Thanks again and I'll check out the site to see if it will give me more ammunition.

    Being back to work I've been so busy, I'm neglecting my normal skin care regime and updating this blog. But I promise I will continue every weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete